Robert Peiffer, DVM, PhD, DACVO
Dr. Peiffer is a distinguished practitioner of veterinary medicine worldwide, and leads the Department of Ophthalmology at Saint Francis. He is Board Certified in Ophthalmology.
Dr. Peiffer’s professional recognitions and accomplishments include:
- Past President – American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists
- Past President – American Society of Veterinary Ophthalmology
- Past President – International Society of Veterinary Ophthalmology
- Past President – International Society of Ocular Toxicology
- Editor-in-Chief – Journal of Ocular Biology
- Gaines Award for Small Animal Practitioner of the Year – American Veterinary Medical Association
- Waltham Award – World Small Animal Veterinary Association
- American Animal Hospital Association award for career achievement
- Author of more than 200 published works, including four text books
Dr. Peiffer was a faculty member at the University of Florida, University of North Carolina, North Carolina State University, and the University of Pennsylvania. He has had a successful career as a researcher and educator in addition to directing large veterinary referral practices in North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
Dr. Peiffer graduated from the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine and went to Iowa State University to complete his small animal internship. Dr. Peiffer received his ophthalmology training as a National Institutes of Health (NIH) fellow at his alma mater. He became board certified in ophthalmology in 1976 and earned his PhD in 1981.