Client Bill of Rights
- You have the right to accurate and easily understood information about your pet’s health conditions, health care professionals and our facility.
- If your pet is suffering severe pain, an injury or sudden illness that makes you believe his or her life is in danger, you have the right to utilize emergency services no matter the time of day, subject to universal terms and policies.
- You have the right to know your pet’s treatment options and take part in the decisions about his or her care. You have the right to ask about the pros and cons of any treatment, including no treatment at all.
- You have the right to considerate, respectful care from your pet’s doctors, health care representatives and other providers that do not discriminate against you based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or source of payment.
- You have the right to talk privately with health care providers and have your pet’s health care information protected. You also have the right to read a copy of your pet’s medical record. This policy is subject to government regulations concerning animal abuse and neglect.
- You have the right to a fair, fast and objective review of any complaint you may wish to have heard, including regarding waiting times, operating hours, and the actions of health care personnel.
In a veterinary health system that protects pet owners’ rights, you should expect to take some responsibilities:
- Inform your health care providers about any medicines their pet is taking, and about health conditions and medical or surgical problems in the past or present
- Ask questions or request further information from health care providers if you do not completely understand health information and instructions
- Take responsibility for your pets’ lifestyles to help improve their health (for instance, following a treatment plan, exercising, and eating a nutritious diet)
- Treat health care workers and other pet owners with respect
- Pay your bills in full and on time
- Follow the rules of the hospital