Department of Emergency & Critical Care
The Department of Emergency and Critical Care is open 24 hours per day, every day of the year, staffed by a full medical team to support pets of all kinds – dogs, cats, birds, reptiles and small mammals such as rabbits and ferrets. No appointment is necessary to visit the Emergency Room, although we advise that whenever possible you call ahead so that we can prepare for your arrival.
Saint Francis’ Department of Emergency & Critical Care is a Certified Level II emergency and critical care facility by the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society (VECCS).
Our department exists to be a service to pet owners and veterinarians during difficult times, usually when a pet owner’s primary care provider is closed. We know that emergency situations are, by their very nature, unplanned and upsetting. Our goal is to help clients make sound medical decisions for their beloved pets, and to provide expert emergency and critical care to save and enhance lives.
The emergency service works closely with other departments at Saint Francis Veterinary Center as well as with your primary veterinarian, ensuring that your pet receives a comprehensive continuity of care to help your beloved pet through any crisis.
We place special emphasis on clarity of communication, compassion during times of need, and providing as comfortable an environment as we possibly can. We’re here to help, 24 hours per day every day of the year.
Medical Boarding is available for patients requiring around-the-clock monitoring or the administration of medicine at regular intervals throughout the day and night.
In Case of Emergency
- Stay as calm as possible. Remember – your pet needs you now.
- Contact us or your primary veterinarian for guidance on what to do. While some problems may be addressed by phone, most may require a physical examination, a thorough history and laboratory work to fully evaluate the challenge problem.
- Secure your pet in the car and drive safely.
- Once here, our medical staff will triage your pet and provide immediate emergency stabilization if required. This is when communication becomes critically important – we’ll need you to share any information you know, and we’ll be clear with you on our assessments and any costs that may emerge.
- While our medical team works with your beloved companion, please be aware that any emergency room visit with your pet may entail some waiting. Please know that we are working with full attention dedicated to assessing and treating your pet’s condition, and while this occurs we will do our absolute best to update you throughout. Please be patient and remain calm during your visit.
Learn about our capabilities >