Department of Cardiology
Cardiology is a medical specialty dealing with disorders of the heart, including diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, heart failure, valvular heart disease and electrophysiology.
We are pleased to be one of the region’s leading hospitals offering Interventional Cardiology Services, including implantation of pacemakers, closing abnormal vessels with self-expanding devices, angiography to visualize vascular defects, and balloon valvuloplasty to open narrowed vessels in the body. Interventional medicine is minimally invasive, designed to reduce pain and shorten recovery time.
Our Cardiology service offers comprehensive consultations and complete cardiac evaluations utilizing radiography, color flow Doppler echocardiography, electrocardiography, 24-hour ambulatory electrocardiographic (Holter) monitoring, and cardiac event recording in the diagnosis and management of patients with all forms of congenital and acquired heart disease.
Letter to referring veterinarians from Jonathan Goodwin, DVM, DACVIM (Cardiology) and Megan King, VMD, DACVIM (Cardiology) >
- Implantation of pacemakers
- Closing abnormal vessels with self-expanding devices
- Angiography to visualize vascular defects
- Balloon valvuloplasty to open narrowed vessels in the body
- Diagnosis and treatment of congenital and acquired cardiac disease
- Diagnosis of thoracic and pericardial neoplasia
- Electocardiogram interpretation (ECG)
- Heart murmur evaluation
- Pre-adriamycin evaluation
- Radioactive iodine therapy pre-screening
- Removal of fluid from thorax (pleurocentesis), the abdomen (abdominocentesis) and the pericardium (pericardicentesis)
- Thoracic and cardiac echocardiography (ultrasound)
- Acquired cardiac disease (valvular insufficiency, dilated cardiomyopathy, muscle disorders, pericardial disease
- Congenital cardiac disease (patent ductus arteriosus, pulmonic stenosis, aortic stenosis, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy)
- Congestive heart failure
- Pericardial and pleural space disease and neoplasia
- Pulmonary disease