Caroline K. Garzotto, VMD, CCRT, DACVS, was appointed as Director of the Johari & Jimmy Rollins Center for Animal Rehabilitation in January of 2013. She has been a Staff Surgeon in the Department of Surgery at Saint Francis Veterinary Center since 2012.
Dr. Garzotto is a Board Certified small animal surgeon since 2001 who achieved certification as a Canine Rehabilitation Therapist (CCRT) in 2012.
Since 2005, she has served as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania and as a surgeon at select hospitals in the region.
In addition to orthopedic and soft tissue surgery, Dr. Garzotto has particular interest in the areas of sports medicine, rehabilitation and pain management, oncologic surgery and wound management/reconstructive surgery.
Veterinary medicine is a second career for Dr. Garzotto, who for six years worked as an electrical/computer engineer in Pittsburgh, PA, for Westinghouse and then Carnegie-Mellon University, where she received her Master’s degree. Although she enjoyed engineering, she finally realized her dream of becoming a veterinarian after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine in 1996. That was followed by a private practice internship in Darien, Connecticut, and a residency in small animal surgery at Tufts University/Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, which was completed in 2000.
Since her internship, Dr. Garzotto has adopted all of her pets as a result of surgical repairs on animals she’s rescued from the hospitals at which she works. She and her husband and 2 daughters live in South Jersey with their current two cats and one dog. She enjoys teaching, reading, and a variety of outdoor activities with her family, friends and neighbors.
Veterinary professional positions & certifications
- Canine Rehabilitation Institute – CCRT certification 2012
- Specialty Certification – American College of Veterinary Surgeons, 2001
- Active State Licensure – Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Surgery – University of Pennsylvania, 2005 – present
- Owner and Surgeon – Veterinary Surgery of South Jersey, LLC, 2004 – present
- Staff Surgeon – Veterinary Surgical & Diagnostic Specialists, 2001-2003
- Lecturer, Small Animal Surgery – University of Pennsylvania, 2000-2001
- PennHIP Certification – University of Pennsylvania, 1996
- International Veterinary Academy of Pain Management, 2012 – present
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society, 2009 – present
- Southern New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association, 2001 – present (Vice-President 2009-present, Treasurer 2004-2009)
- New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association, 2001 – present
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Diplomate, 2001 – present
- Veterinary Cancer Society, 2000 – present
- American Veterinary Medical Association, 1993 – present